Merchant Shops to Sell Items

Do you have suggestions or ideas for improvement, post them here and we will them out.

Merchant Shops to Sell Items

Postby Moonknight » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:52 pm

In one of my games I have four of the Warden's Shield that gives +3 Leadership Defense...fine item, but I have an even better shield, so I have all four sitting in my bag (and it's a big map so it will be forever to give them to other heroes).

It'd be nice if I could sell them in a castle or go to a merchant shop to do so...I realize this isn't needed for most maps, but ones with a lot of ruins and very large it would be a nice to have!

Two other options would be to add more items and/or limit only 1 version of the item in the map (the latter makes sense to do if it is codeable).

Collecting items is one of my favorite things to do, and I can't wait until there are quests to track down an item!
Moonknight

Re: Merchant Shops to Sell Items

Postby KGB » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:14 pm

I'd like this too.

DLR had the ability to sell items for gold. It also had merchants randomly turn up to offer items for sale to a hero at the start of a turn (always at a 10-20% premium over the base cost of the item). Both those features would be nice to have. I'd prefer to use the DLR model of selling anywhere rather than needing to be in a city. This would help too if you got an early item and needed gold and so could sell for the money you wanted.

However I like duplicate items. There aren't many in the game right now. So on larger maps in long games you'll run out of items quickly if you can't have duplicates or if the pool of items isn't 50+ (that's only 6 per player).

KGB
KGB

Postby magian » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:18 pm

Being able to sell items would be a useful addition. Only being able to sell in a city makes sense, but is a bit less convenient. Can't say I care much one way or the other.

Until there are more items, duplicates make sense. But if the plan is to always allow duplicates, I suggest giving items more generic names (like sword of might, spellforged armor, etc.) rather than the unique artifact names they have now.
magian

Postby SnotlinG » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:02 am

The plan is to not allow duplicates.
Its actually a bug that creates the duplicates currently.

But yes, increasing the number of items should be done.
Also merchants offering item, and maybe possibility to sell items would be nice... will add it to the list of possible things for beta6 :-)
SnotlinG

Postby Moonknight » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:06 pm

SnotlinG wrote:Also merchants offering item, and maybe possibility to sell items would be nice... will add it to the list of possible things for beta6 :-)

I'm picturing the merchant from the original Zelda :lol: That would be sweet!

When is the invisible cloak and ring coming? :D
Moonknight

Postby Moonknight » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:46 pm

another topic for discussion, although with the gold balancing items from ruins, I don't know if this is necessary or not.
Moonknight

Postby Chazar » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:16 pm

I am a bit worried about being able to sell anywhere: the need to prevent powerful items to fall into the hands of the enemy is always an important factor in my considerations.

For example attacking a full city with huge losses, leaving a single vulnerable hero there, therefore offering the enemy an opportunity to get the items (back). This is a tense situation that makes the game interesting. Will I manage to get that hero back to other troops? Can I catch an enemy hero ladden with treasure?

If one can easily sell anywhere , then this source for excitement is lost: sell the items if the hero is in a vulnerable position; done. A hero is easily replaceable with gold, which was gained from the sale. Dangerous situation easily defused. Boring. :(

Instead, why not just allow scouts to transport items just like heroes (though they cannot use them)?!

Yes, that brings a new form of micromanagement (but thanks to multiple-turn paths not too much), but also the interesting possibility to intercept these treasure bearers (the item should still be displayed with its bag on the map, even when being transported with a scout - it radiates magic, etc.)
Chazar

Postby KGB » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:11 pm

I am fully against units being able to move items for 2 reasons

1) Items are unique one of a kind artifacts. No one would ever voluntarily turn over something like say 'The Arc of the Covenant' or the 'Holy Grail' to some low level persons to carry who could easily lose it. It would be like the government letting citizens transport Atomic Bombs for them.
2) It would be *very* easy to pick up an item with a unit, move its full distance, drop the item, another unit pick it up and move it's maximum distance and drop. Rinse and repeat. So it would be possible to move an item 40 or 50 squares in a turn if you had units lined up correctly.

Even though you can sell items you'd never get full value for them. So if there was any chance of keeping them it's not worth selling since you could never get the item back even if you risked losing it. That said, I think selling should only take place in cities and the value of the item being sold should be tied to the city income in some manner (maybe more income = more valuable items could be sold since there would be wealthy merchants that could afford them).

KGB
KGB

Postby Moonknight » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:46 am

What about merchants showing up to sell items to heroes (at a hefty premium) as mentioned earlier?

I loved getting those merchants and mercenary offers pop up at random in Warlords games!

I was thinking only being able to sell in cities too, and i like the idea that how much you get back would be tied to the level of the walls.
Moonknight

Return to Wish list