Castle production view

Do you have suggestions or ideas for improvement, post them here and we will them out.

Castle production view

Postby kenc80 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:12 am

in W2 there was a screen (like the vector screen) where you could see what castles were currently producing armies. IE...if castle A is vectoring to castle B and B was taken, you could tell in an instant if castle A's production had been canceled. Maybe im crazy, but it seems much harder to tell where production is happening in this version.

Along the same lines, after you pillage a castle, it should auto take you to the build production screen. i've forgotten a coupla times to build units after a pillage simply bc it took me out of the castle build screen. ok i know thats a nitpick.

As always, I appreciate everything you guys have done,
Ken
kenc80

Re: Castle production view

Postby Itangast » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:03 pm

You probably know this but.... once you got the "city info dialog" on your screen you may click each individual city in the minimap to the left side. An easy way to click through your whole city set and change productions.

This map is also a great method of evaluating city defense levels, particilary if 4 armies block all slots in a city :)

A small improvement to this minimap would be to add a slightly different colour/"border colour" to cities that is not producing at the moment.

Any city that is vectoring units will automatically start producing the same unit locally IF the target vector city is lost.
Itangast

Postby SnotlinG » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:40 pm

Hello,

Feedback about what is hard to see etc is very valuable for us. As designing a good interface is not very easy :-(

Anyway, have you seen the "show all vectoring"-button in the city popup? Maybe this would help you a bit?

As for plundering a city, I assumed that if you plunder a city you didnt want to produce anything there. I.e. opening the production dialog for the city where you dont have any production capabilities seemed a bit weird. But I can change this easily if people thinks that would make more sense... (or open the city-buy-new-production screen maybe? But that feeks a bit weird too :-))

Good idea for non-producing cities, we will try to add something to mark them on the map
SnotlinG

Postby KGB » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:35 pm

SnotlinG wrote:Feedback about what is hard to see etc is very valuable for us. As designing a good interface is not very easy :-(

That's because everything is so subjective.

Also there are factors that one rarely considers like color blindness (a common complaint in the PuzzleQuest series that Warlords Creator Steve Fawkner is currently doing).

The hardest thing for me to 'see' right now on the map are the Black units. This is on the main map and the mini map. For example with all other sides, when a stack is in a city I can easily see the number of units in the stack due to the color of the flags being easy to see. But the Black ones so blend in with the city that I have to click on the enemy stack to see the number of units there. On the mini map it's very easy to miss a black stack as often I have missed bats that are in forests etc due to the color of the black dot on the mini map being hard to see.

SnotlinG wrote:As for plundering a city, I assumed that if you plunder a city you didnt want to produce anything there. I.e. opening the production dialog for the city where you dont have any production capabilities seemed a bit weird. But I can change this easily if people thinks that would make more sense... (or open the city-buy-new-production screen maybe? But that feeks a bit weird too :-))

The original Warlords2 (DLR definitely did) had an option to pillage, plunder, occupy or raze. The difference between pillage and plunder is plunder removed all units while pillage only removed the most expensive one. It would be nice to have that option back.

Good idea for non-producing cities, we will try to add something to mark them on the map

Here's my 2 cents on this:

1) I'd like to be able to hover the cursor over each city on this screen and have a mouse over pop-up show me what unit is being made there and the number of turns remaining (the icon of the unit is ideal with the number of turns under it so a dragon with a 2 under it means a dragon is made in 2 turns. Even better would be to show all icons of all units that could be made there with the in-production unit having the number under it). That would save me clicking each city manually and changing to the production tab to see what's in production and how long till its made. Then having to go back to the vector view to see the next city and so on.
2) I'd like each city to have a border color that showed me the defense level of the walls (eg black for +0, white for +1, some other color for +2 and another color for +3).
3) If the city is not producing units, the square icon could instead be a square with an X in it to indicate no production is taking place there.
4) Add a legend that explains the border colors + the X mark.

That way I can get a complete view of my Empire without having to click around.

KGB
KGB

Postby kenc80 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:30 pm

SnotlinG wrote:
As for plundering a city, I assumed that if you plunder a city you didnt want to produce anything there. I.e. opening the production dialog for the city where you dont have any production capabilities seemed a bit weird. But I can change this easily if people thinks that would make more sense... (or open the city-buy-new-production screen maybe? But that feeks a bit weird too )

In early game scenarios, I pillage a lot, especially with the current unbalanced light calv unit. Im hearing that unit will be balanced back in B3 but right now im using it almost exclusively early on. So yeah, i always buy that unit after I pillage a city. Maybe other folks leave pillaged cities empty with no production. to be honest, ive never considered doing that, but again, I dont claim to be an elite player. maybe thats what KGB, Mouf and company are doing. I cant speak for them.

KGB: Here's my 2 cents on this:
1) I'd like to be able to hover the cursor over each city on this screen and have a mouse over pop-up show me what unit is being made there and the number of turns remaining (the icon of the unit is ideal with the number of turns under it so a dragon with a 2 under it means a dragon is made in 2 turns. Even better would be to show all icons of all units that could be made there with the in-production unit having the number under it). That would save me clicking each city manually and changing to the production tab to see what's in production and how long till its made. Then having to go back to the vector view to see the next city and so on.

-- That hover option would be nice, im not sure how much coding that would take. Again, my focus is being able to see, at a quick glance, which cities are currently producing units. Like KGB said in a separate post, bc we can be playing so many games simultaneously, its hard to remember if a city lost production due to a vector city being taken. I think W2 did this by making cities producing appear with a bold black outline.
kenc80

Postby piranha » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:49 pm

The hover option should not be a lot of programming. This will be added along with another feature that will make managing many cities easier.
piranha
Site Admin

Postby Itangast » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:50 pm

When handling the vectoring of units its very common to view the current production type as well as the vectoring menu. These two are currently in two different views which requires several clicks when browsing through each city menu.

This is what I think would make it better:

- Keep the "current production type" and "vectoring menu" as they are.

- Add the Set up new vector and Show all vectoring to the current production type

See attached picture as an example...
Attachments
production.jpg
production.jpg (117.4 KiB) Viewed 4951 times
Itangast

Return to Wish list