Small maps

Anything related to creating maps goes here

Small maps

Postby LPhillips » Mon May 07, 2012 6:06 pm

Like many people, when I get an idea I run with it. I wanted to make a small themed map, putting aesthetics before pure utility. The result is Burning Ice. It was a side project, but it's presented an interesting idea for the mapmaking community to toy with: A small map can play like a bigger map!

After getting the basic landscape, I proceeded to restrict paths to give the players a little more trouble reaching each other. From there, I added balance features like cities, towers, and extra ruins. The unit-balanced version is not out, and one of the current spawns is basically an instant loss, so I don't recommend playing it until the next couple of playtest rounds have finished. But the concept of making smaller maps non-linear is proven here.

Here is the tipping point: 28/29 units, 10/10 cities. We're on turn 16, 2 turns after the battle where I demonstrated the level 1 Assassin's ability to make a well-leveled Barbarian look like a total wuss. Apparently games on this map are likely to be undecided by turn 15 or later with players of roughly even skill.
Attachments
Burning Ice.jpg
Burning Ice.jpg (194.26 KiB) Viewed 2384 times
LPhillips

Re: Small maps

Postby LPhillips » Mon May 07, 2012 6:07 pm

For those who don't know, you need to click the image then use the arrow keys on your keyboard to view it properly.
LPhillips

Return to Map making