Editor Issues

Anything related to creating maps goes here

Editor Issues

Postby Pillager » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:41 pm

I have run into some quirks and bugs while using the editor. I'll list all the ones I can recall...

All these quirks were encountered while using google chrome.

If I save a map, then try to edit data on a city, it doesn't work. The city data window doesn't pop up when I click on the city. If I reload the map, city editing works works fine again....until I save.

The square tool never forgets. If you accidentally click once with the squaretool, then switch to brush or edit, then switch back to squaretool and click ...the first and second clicks form the corners of an unwanted square. I have created some huge monster squares this way, ruining multiple maps. they are hard to get rid of because...

The undo button undoes every terrain eccentricity individually, so if you make a big mistake, you may have to click it a few hundred (thousand?) times before it does what you want.

Editing city income is all kinds of wacky. If you edit a city's income, press OK, leave the city menu, edit the city again, and check the income... you will find that some numbers work fine, others change to random, and some change to other numbers (40 turns into 80 for one).

Things get funky towards the map edges. Creating and then deleting a city or ruin too close to the edge can create an invisible 'ghost city' that can't be erased, new terrain can't be placed on them either.

Water is created in 2x2 squares. This is annoying if you want to create a thin river.
Pillager

Re: Editor Issues

Postby KGB » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:02 pm

Pillager,

Remind me to never use the square tool :)

I've seen the same map edge quirkiness. It's the outer edge square for me that is the problem as the terrain editor doesn't always smoothly edit there. I've definitely avoiding placing ruins/cities on the edges for the reasons you describe. If I recall, DLR and W2 didn't let you put them their either.

Water is actually 3x3 squares. The square you click is water. The 8 surrounding squares form the shoreline. It's not possible to create smaller water areas than this and I doubt it ever will be. You wouldn't be able to place bridges or docks correctly on a 1 square wide river. I also suspect a boat would not be able to travel on it.

KGB
KGB

Postby Pillager » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:21 am

Riiiiight, water + surrounding coast. Actually you can make a thinner river (coast to coast), but boat travel down it would cost 2/square.

One other thing.... if I try to edit data on a ruin, the editor freezes and never comes back.
Pillager

Postby KGB » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:27 am

Pillager wrote:One other thing.... if I try to edit data on a ruin, the editor freezes and never comes back.

You didn't survive the Monster in the ruin :lol:

KGB
KGB

Postby SnotlinG » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:03 am

Hi guys,

Its really good with the feedback here :-)

- citypopups should work after saving a city now.

- squaretool first-click should be reset if you do some action between next use of the squaretool

- Water is as KGB says 3x3 including shores now. It must be like this for the editor to be able to calculate how the shorelines should go. If you want a narrow river you can do like this; build a normal river first, i.e. 3 squares wide, and then you select normal grassland, and build on the shore-squares on one side, it will then narrow the river with 1 square, i.e. making it 2 squares wide in total (i.e. move-cost 2 everywhere in that river)

I´ll have a look on the other issues a bit later
SnotlinG

Postby SnotlinG » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:28 am

- cityincome is fixed.

As far as I understand it we now have following issues:

- The UNDO-issue when using undo on large areas built by square-tool

- Strange behavior when placing buildings close to the mapborder
SnotlinG

Postby SnotlinG » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:08 pm

Fixed squaretool UNDO issue.
Clicking UNDO after using the squaretool will now undo all bigtiles that has been created in the area created by squaretool. Clicking it once again will UNDO the squaretool terrain. So normally 2 clicks will be needed to totally undo a squaretool section.

I cant repeat the issue with buildings at the edges, seems to be working for me. Could you let me know how to replicate it?
SnotlinG

Postby Pillager » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:59 pm

Snotling,

Place a city or ruin close to the map edge (1-3 squares from the edge). Erase the city. It doesn't happen every time, but sometimes the city/ruin remains as an invisible ghost version of itself.

Try surrounding the city with hills/forests before erasing. This should leave a city-sized patch of open terrain that can't be changed into another terrain type.
Pillager

Postby SnotlinG » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:17 pm

Thanks Pillager, but Im still unable to replicate :-(

Any specific edga of the map that you have issues with?
Any specific terrain used around the city?
Terrain placed normally or with the squaretool?
SnotlinG

Postby Pillager » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:39 pm

I have another issue...can't get the cartoon terrain to work. When I try to make a new map, and select cartoon terrain, I just get a darkened screen...and..nothing...happens.
Pillager

Next

Return to Map making