Submitting Maps

Anything related to creating maps goes here

Submitting Maps

Postby KGB » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:21 am

I've finished re-doing the Bullrun map for Beta3, making a few adjustments based on some suggestions I've gotten + things I've observed. Then I added temples/ruins to the map.

So when should I be thinking about submitting the map for beta3? There probably isn't a rush until beta3 is complete and ready to go. But I just wanted to check so that I'd be ready to submit when you are ready to release.

In the meantime I'm going to tinker with porting another DLR map.

It looks like there should be quite a few maps ready to go for Beta3 given you have 4 complete and other warlords are working on maps too. I can't wait to try them out.

KGB
KGB

Re: Submitting Maps

Postby SnotlinG » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:08 am

Hello,
If you have finalized it, you can as well Submit it also, then all other mapmakers can have a look at the map in the editor and maybe come with comments.
If it is not finalized, you can wait until Beta3 launches and submit it then, in case you want to make some last minute tweaks :-)

Yes in Beta3 we definitely will have a whole lot more maps to choose from :-)
Then we need to sort them into ladder maps and normal maps also, but for beta3 I dont think that should be such a big deal...
SnotlinG

Postby KGB » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:50 pm

SnotlinG,

We can see other submitted maps? Where/how?

I'd love to take a look at what's been submitted so far.

Now that I know others can take a look and give feedback, I'll finalize and submit Bullrun and can then make any changes based on last minute feedback.

KGB
KGB

Postby SnotlinG » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:28 pm

Next to the "Map Editor" button in the top menu there is a button called "Maps".
There you will see a list of all Submitted maps, and under every map you have another button for "open map" which will take you to the mapeditor and load that map.

Under the "Maps"-page you can also post comments on peoples maps.
SnotlinG

Postby KGB » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:19 am

SnotlinG,

Very nice feature. I checked out the 5 maps tonight and left a few comments. The Snakespine Mountain map especially looks like it's going to be a good one to play. DLR had a similar scenario map and it was on my list of possible maps to do but now I won't since this one is done.

Two quick comments:

1) It would be nice to list the map author on the map viewing page.

2) The Smallworld map has a couple of cities sitting on mountain tops. That looks really sharp. I had no idea you could do something like that. Do you just place mountains then a city on top of it to get that effect and the single narrow access pass to the city?

Two quick questions.

1) One map has 7 temples. So based on that I am assuming that you bless only once (ala DLR) and not once per temple (ala W2). Otherwise 7 blessings gets a bit ridiculous.

2) I'm going to submit my Bullrun map probably tomorrow after a final glance. If I get some comments and make changes based on that will it be possible to remove and resubmit?

KGB

P.S. I just noticed a bug. I left 1 comment on 3 different maps. But now each time I open a map, hit the back button and say 'yes' to the resubmit question Firefox gives me, it's duplicating all my comments on all that map. As a result many of my comments have now been duplicated several times! So I really didn't submit the same comment over and over :lol:
KGB

Postby SnotlinG » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:44 am

Comment replies:
1. This has been left out with purpose, so you should look at the map with a fresh mind, not affected by who has created it :-)

2. Thats additional graphic´s py piranha, but he wasnt quite satisfied with how some of the turns looked, so we have removed it from Beta3 for now. Will most likely be back in beta4.

Question replies:
1. You can only get one of each type of blessings. Currently there are 2 types (move and str). So the 2 diffrent types of temples gives diffrent types of blessings.

2. Yes it will be possible to remove and re-submit, although a little bit messy. If you want to remove and replace an already finalized/submitted map, you open your map again and save it under another name. Then verify you can load your newly saved map and when you are sure this works you can delete your submitted map :-)

As for the comments bug, I´ll tell piranha to have a look :-)
SnotlinG

Postby KGB » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:00 pm

SnotlinG,

SnotlinG wrote:1. This has been left out with purpose, so you should look at the map with a fresh mind, not affected by who has created it :-)

I had no idea there were map snobs. I suspect most warlords just want lots of variety and don't care who made the map. Or so one hopes.

I guess I'll defeat that idea by naming all my maps 'KGBs-MapName' :lol:

SnotlinG wrote:1. You can only get one of each type of blessings. Currently there are 2 types (move and str). So the 2 diffrent types of temples gives diffrent types of blessings.

I didn't realize the 2 temple icons provided different blessings! Which is which so that I know I put the right ones on my maps.

KGB
KGB

Postby piranha » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:59 pm

The greek looking is +1 STR
The eastern looking is +2 Move
piranha
Site Admin

Postby KGB » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:08 pm

Piranha,

Thanks.

I've got them backwards then as I added the Eastern looking one because I thought it looked cooler.

Can I assume that the 3 ruin icons are all one and the same and don't offer different monsters/rewards based on icon?

KGB
KGB

Postby SnotlinG » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:07 am

The ruins are diffrent as well :-) I think piranha will add description in Warpedia for the diffrent temples/ruins soon.

But basically the ruin that looks like a church is a level 1 ruin.
The dark ruin is level 2.
And the tower-like ruin is level 3.

The more level, the more dangerous/more rewards.
In Beta3 they will only give gold though, but greater chance of more gold from a higher level ruin as well.
SnotlinG

Next

Return to Map making