placing terrain next to rivers

Anything related to creating maps goes here

placing terrain next to rivers

Postby Negern » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:25 pm

Is it just me, or does other people too find it a little laggy? The rivers go haywire and the terrain does the same. Sometimes it's not even possible to place a forest tile next to a river, without having to do it in carefully planned steps.. Most of the times, it's when the river runs across a string of single squares. Like this: 1 open square, 1 more, 1, "river runs over here", 1 open, 1 open. If I make one of the squares next to the river a handful of forest squares pops up en the river disappears. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. Don't know why.
Negern

Re: placing terrain next to rivers

Postby Negern » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:34 pm

Have done some experimenting. It's when tiles are added like this

- is ordinary tiles, 0 is river, 9 is where river runs into/from the sea
- - - -0 - - - -
- - 9 - - -

If I change one of the tiles one or two steps from the river and river out and inlets, it gets weird. Sure, if placed just next to the river, it's not odd that unexpected things happen, but two tiles from, with a tile not even connected to the river - why?

Also, why does the river need 3 aligned - - - , why can't a river run across a
-
x -
-
(x is where it can't run across. It's possible to put a river tile there, but not to add in and outlets.

Nothing serious, just sat here and thought I could ass well ask. It's a hassle to add river terrain sometimes.
Negern

Postby Negern » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:36 pm

The layout got f-ed up, but if you quote the message, you can see the terrain tiles placed as intended.
Negern

Postby magian » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:50 pm

Changing terrain around river mouths is all kinds of bad. Once you add a river mouth into a water area, the whole zone become highly unstable.
magian

Postby Negern » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:18 pm

Agreed!
Negern

Postby KGB » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:40 pm

I think it's because the map editor attempts to auto-group similar tiles into larger tile sections (2x2, 3x3, 4x4). So what appears to be a whole lot of single squares of 1 tile type (open lets say) is really a 2x2 or 3x3 square in the map editors world. So that when you attempt to place a river through it, it mangles the 2x2/3x3 square and in the process forms other 2x2/3x3 squares as it attempts to re-group like tiles into larger groups.

I had the most success placing single forest next to single swamp next to single hills etc and alternating that to form a grid that's 3 rows wide. Then lay down your river. The go back and attempt to lay down the actual land terrain you want by the river. It's still tricky because the editor still tries to make 2x2/3x3 squares sometimes.

What's really needed is a button to temporarily suspect the editor attempting to group like tiles into larger groups.

KGB
KGB

Postby Negern » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:24 pm

KGB wrote:What's really needed is a button to temporarily suspect the editor attempting to group like tiles into larger groups.

KGB

If that translates to what I think it does, I do agree! Especially with water thing can be very hard to do as planned, tiles pop out of nowhere to connect the just laid tile to other tiles.. Makes it hard to design islands where there is only narrow gaps in the water. Also to form lakes the was you want them. Archipelago was a mess to create.
Negern

Postby magian » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:42 pm

My trick is to use the copy and paste tools. They seem to obey their own set of rules, and can let you get away with things that placing normal terrain squares won't.
magian

Return to Map making