Map Comments (Inland Sea War)

Anything related to creating maps goes here

Map Comments (Inland Sea War)

Postby SCIkick » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:41 pm

Hello folks,

I seems I can't scroll down to the bottom of the comments on my map and respond on my laptop right now, so I'll just respond here I guess.

I read one comment about a few starting positions being far from ports, so unable to expand. Well, they can expand, but slower then others and also their position is better defended. The comment about the ruins I agree with but as of now ruins don't award allies. And, the one about capitol starting armies, I thought players all get the same gold and buy initial production?

Anyway, I'm in a hotel and bored, so here's a breakdown of how I saw the starting positions on my map if anyones interested:

White (Knights) - very defensible position. Can get much cavalry quickly and must be aggressive to capture a port.
Black- (Darklord) - Also very defensible and isolated, but can get good armies rather quickly..Ghosts, spiders. Will likely clash with the Vikings in the dwarf mountain pass cities.
Teal (Vikings) - Can expand by sea pretty quickly or take the mountain pass. May end up in naval/island battles with the Blue player.
Red (Monsters) - Can get elementals, demons fairly early. Must start off good or could get smashed between Teal and Yellow
Yellow (Easterners) - Will battle Red to north and Orange in south to get a foothold, probably needs to focus on one
Blue (Empire) - Can expand by sea immediately, but vulnerable to sea attacks and is between White and Green
Green (Sylvan) - Favorable postion and wont get attacked until later, likely by Blue or Black
Orange (Nomads) - Isolated but defensible, units will be fast moving and also can get elephants early
SCIkick

Re: Map Comments (Inland Sea War)

Postby KGB » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:12 am

SCIkick,

SCIkick wrote:And, the one about capitol starting armies, I thought players all get the same gold and buy initial production?

It only matters when less than 8 players play on the map. In that case the unused capitols get whatever production you've set. So if you are OK with what happens in those cities when <8 players play it's not a problem.

SCIkick wrote:The comment about the ruins I agree with but as of now ruins don't award allies.

True. But if this map is kept around till Beta4 you'll have to come back and edit it. So I posted that comment in case you wanted to do that edit now instead of later.

SCIkick wrote:I read one comment about a few starting positions being far from ports, so unable to expand. Well, they can expand, but slower then others and also their position is better defended.

White (Knights) - very defensible position. Can get much cavalry quickly and must be aggressive to capture a port.
Black- (Darklord) - Also very defensible and isolated, but can get good armies rather quickly..Ghosts, spiders. Will likely clash with the Vikings in the dwarf mountain pass cities.
Teal (Vikings) - Can expand by sea pretty quickly or take the mountain pass. May end up in naval/island battles with the Blue player.
Red (Monsters) - Can get elementals, demons fairly early. Must start off good or could get smashed between Teal and Yellow
Yellow (Easterners) - Will battle Red to north and Orange in south to get a foothold, probably needs to focus on one
Blue (Empire) - Can expand by sea immediately, but vulnerable to sea attacks and is between White and Green
Green (Sylvan) - Favorable postion and wont get attacked until later, likely by Blue or Black
Orange (Nomads) - Isolated but defensible, units will be fast moving and also can get elephants early

The problem with being isolated is that it may be defensible but it also means you can't expand either. You get trapped in a small area and are unable to get out to the neutral cities. So you fall behind other players and that's deadly. Personally I don't like being trapped but maybe others don't mind it as much.

Also I can tell you that loading up nearby neutrals with good units is going to make expansion even slower. I've started a couple of test games and your starting units aren't that many and your starting production in your capitol is AT BEST a giant unless you want to start with no hero. So taking cities with Demons/Spiders etc is going to be very tough work and require a lot of turns.

I'll be curious to see how this map plays. I really hope I get the Green/Teal starting positions and I dread the Black starting position where you can be trapped with only 5-6 cities and 1 way to move men directly through Teal.

KGB
KGB

Return to Map making