1v1 Maps with unbalanced starts

Anything related to creating maps goes here

1v1 Maps with unbalanced starts

Postby zillusion » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:58 pm

I want to make a list of maps that can have substantially unbalanced starts (that people nonetheless seem to play 1v1). I'll try to give at least one of the variations I consider unbalanced, though in many cases there are multiple ways it can be unbalanced.

List:
-West Illuria (southeast or sw v. ne or nw)
-Illuria (both versions played, though imbalance is greater in darkh's version--south central (in mountains) v. most other starts--especially the two central starts and nw)
-Europe (all of them, including 3--I'm not sure if anyone is even trying to balance for 1v1, but if so, se (Egypt) should not be a possible start, against Rome, France, Spain, or Germany it is terrible)
-Outlands (se and nw can both be bad, but se is probably worse)
-Lands of lore (this map is not really finished and should probably be deleted, sw is terrible, in part because of starting unit restrictions)
-Britain (center starts are vastly superior to edges, especially south)
-Greek Civil War
-Hibbletobs (center is much better than edges, teal start is best and sw or ne should not win against it)

Some of these could be improved fairly easily (by limiting 1v1 starting possibilities). Some of them are just not meant for 1v1 and should be removed from 1v1 ladder game maps. Others would take some thought and changes to the details of the map.
zillusion

Re: 1v1 Maps with unbalanced starts

Postby KGB » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:04 pm

Almost all of these maps would be fine if there were defined starting positions for 1v1 play.

It's sad that many map authors didn't do this and the random starting placement algorithm doesn't by default place players as far apart as possible.

KGB
KGB

Postby zillusion » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:47 pm

I agree.

Can anyone add to the list of maps you think are unbalanced for 1v1?
zillusion

Postby KGB » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:01 pm

Pretty much any map with more than 2 start spots where the 1v1 game isn't specifically designated.

Hadesha
Waterworld
Randland

Some of the 4 player maps can give some inconsistent start spots too when you start next to each other (Small World for example) instead of across from each other. I also don't find Outlands as bad as you do since at there there are start spots defined rather than being totally random.

KGB
KGB

Postby piranha » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:21 pm

The following maps are now shared, which mean you can load them and then build and save your own version of them:

-Illuria (At least 1 version but maybe all)
-Outlands
-Britain
-Greek Civil War
-Hibbletobs

The following ones are waiting for the creators approval to make them shared.
-Europe
-West Illuria
-Lands of lore
piranha
Site Admin

Return to Map making