Fords in Beta4

Anything related to creating maps goes here

Fords in Beta4

Postby Jeremy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:03 pm

A Ford is when two docks are next too each other. Used to represent river fords on maps.

In Beta 3, You could take your movement on land, move to the first dock, move to the second dock. Then, the next turn, you'd have you're full movement as a land creature to move away on land.

In Beta 4, you finish your turn on the second dock, but the next turn, you are still a boat and have only 2 movement on land.

If you can change this back to work as before, great. If you can't change this back -- or don't want to because of some other gain with docks, tell us, and us make makers will change the fords back to bridges.

Still, it was nice to have fords -- slowed you down for one turn, but just one turn.
Jeremy

Re: Fords in Beta4

Postby SnotlinG » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:42 am

Ahh, I didnt know they were beeing used like that :-)
Anyway, Anchors/Docks in Beta4 wont be changed. They were specifically re-created like this, to avoid the confusion where you sometimes would be in Sea-mode on a dock, and sometimes be in Land-mode. This caused a lot of confusion (especially when you had a mixed stack where some units were in Land-mode and some on Sea-mode on the same dock.

But its a good idea with fords though. I´ll think about it for Beta5 or so :-)
SnotlinG

Postby Jeremy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:42 pm

I'm not sure it's a great idea, but one possible solution is to let units keep up to 3 or 4 movement after hitting a dock. This allows a Cavalry to hit dock one, hit dock two, and come out the other side -- transforming back into a land creature, but now out of movement. The next turn, they can continue on with their new full movement.

I recognize the cost of this may be too high for other reasons, but it's a possible easy-to-code solution to fords.
Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:49 pm

It only needs to be 3 movement. If map designers WANT to use fords this way, they can just make sure to include roads on each side of the fords (roads leading to fords is a pretty natural thing, anyways.)

Insidently, what happens right now if a dock borders forest? Can only Elves and other forest creatures get out of the water there? I have this situation in Loth Lorien on my map. Testing ... Yup. Can't get my Heavy Infantry off the dock into the forest.

Wow. Need to think about dock placement carefully.
Jeremy

Postby SnotlinG » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:04 pm

Are you sure? It should be possible for Heavy inf to go from a dock directly to the forest, if they have at least 4 move-points left when standing on the dock. If it doesnt work like that its a bug... But i think it should work?
SnotlinG

Return to Map making