maps form Warlords 2

Anything related to creating maps goes here

maps form Warlords 2

Postby strach » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:16 pm

there were some great maps in W2, and I would like to come back to them and play on them here. But I guess it will take me some time to create them from the scratch in map editor. Have any of you tried it? Any suggestions?
strach

Re: maps form Warlords 2

Postby KGB » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:03 pm

Strach,

You asking about trying to make a map or to re-produce a map?

I've reproduced the Bullrun map from DLR and Ezras is reproducing the Ethyeria map from War2.

The editor is pretty easy to use now in Beta4 so making maps isn't hard at all. It is of course time consuming depending on how faithful a reproduction you want to make (8+ hrs for a larger map, I think it took me about 30 to do Bullrun by the time I was happy with all the details and city naming etc). Most times maps from DLR/War2 are going to need some adjustments for the differences in Warbarons (new terrain types, the fact you can enter/exit water from cities instead of just ports etc) and for the differences in game balance.

Obviously the first thing you need is War2 running so you can take a screen shot of the map you are interested in re-doing .

KGB
KGB

Postby Jeremy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:21 pm

I still play Warlords 2 on my computer using DOSBox sometimes. Tell me if you need screenshots.
Jeremy

Postby ezras » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:25 am

Yeah it is a time-consuming process..... i think i've been working on erthyeria for quite a while now. But with some luck i imagine I will have a playable rendition available by the end of the week!

I remember that dragon map was a fun scenario and wanted to play that here. Strach you might want to start with it as it is quite small.

(Oh, I should mention that with illuria I printed out a copy and then graphed and plotted the map, then worked on it sector by sector. there are other ways to do this and now that the ratios are better aligned I think this would work even more efficiently.)
ezras

Postby strach » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:28 pm

I had been thinking about making Hadesha (but all three of them - Erythea, Islandia and Hadesha) where great. I imagined that I would open W2 on my second computer and copy the map - step by step. Of course not everything outright - an hour a day or something like that.

PS. Ezras - I got a question regarding your Illuria map - why didn't you change the totally hopeless starting postion of Syrians? Cant you place some cities near their capital so they have some better chances in the game?
strach

Postby ezras » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:10 am

Yeah, I was waiting for Beta4 and scenarios before goig in to try to increase the balance. I was also thinking to just add a bunch of income generating assets down there. To the best of my memory they would always start with way more money to balance things out. But that map isn't very balanced to begin with. I will work on it somemore to increase its playability and balance when I can.

Someone also mentioned it is best played with 6 not 8 anyway. getting rid of white and light blue's starting positions would be better I imagine.
ezras

Postby KGB » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:31 pm

Just move the Sirian capitol. The place it should be is the city just across the southern most bridge from the Orc lands to the East and Elvallie to the West. That way the Sirians can grab the south Orc lands and fight Elvallie for the central plain cities on an even footing.

KGB
KGB

Return to Map making