Copy and Paste

Anything related to creating maps goes here

Copy and Paste

Postby Tim » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:58 pm

Hello Guys,
is it possible to take a piece of the map and place it completely to another place? This would be very helpful...
Tim

Re: Copy and Paste

Postby piranha » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:39 pm

No thins like copy a part and rotate etc could would be nice but its not possible yet.
piranha
Site Admin

Postby Draxus » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:47 pm

How bout now...? Huh? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? I made a minimal donation to the cause and therefore am the boss now. DO IT!!!! Just kidding.........please? we would love you forever....I'll give you another dollar....make you a sandwich? Write a song about you! must ...have...copy....paste.....
Draxus

Postby SnotlinG » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:35 pm

How would it work? Like the square-tool first for copy a chunk, and then later on you just paste this one out?
Should we copy all buildings etc also (might be a problem with citynames/ruin names etc)
SnotlinG

Postby Draxus » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:26 pm

I do not code, forgive me, but can't you make it so that when you copy a section it automatically sets the names to a default, random one upon pasting? Then the code wouldn't have any issues with two cities having the same name. I can't see that being as hard as implementing the copy feature itself. But that is how I see it working SnotlinG, use the square tool to pic a custom size and then wherever square you pick to paste becomes the pasted sections top left corner.

Rotation would also be nice. Highlight a section with square tool and then have two arrows, one pointing clockwise and one counter, to move the section 90 degrees. No idea how hard to implement and not as important as the copy and paste, at least for me. But rotation would help some interesting maps that are 100% balanced very easily. Be even nicer of you could select addition, adjacent tiles with a +control click or something and rotate non-square pieces. I suppose any tile that overlaid on preexisting tiles would be over written and I don't know if the tiles it rotated from would then have to be made into plain or retain the original values/terrain. Or it could produce a ghost image overlaid on the existing tiles that you could drag and drop wherever you wanted and then it would replace existing tiles. No idea on coding/plausibility, just brainstorming.

The copy and paste would help with the creation of sections of almost every map map, even if you were not making a mirror/balance one. Copy and pasting small sections that are identical near starting locations might be nice even if the general terrain/paths/castle layout will end up being vastly different 10 or so moves out. I can just see it being a very nice tool to make the map making process much easier and help encourage creativity and make balancing easier.
Draxus

Postby SnotlinG » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:23 am

Thanks for the feedback.
Ill investigate a bit how hard it would be and see what we can do :-)
SnotlinG

Postby SnotlinG » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:19 am

Basic version of copy-paste has been cooded and will be included in next version.
No rotate though since its a bit though as if you have a rectangle it would affect the map outside its selection. Might have another look on this further on, but not for now...
SnotlinG

Postby Draxus » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:24 am

sweet
Draxus

Postby jendan » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:07 pm

SnotlinG wrote:Basic version of copy-paste has been cooded and will be included in next version.
No rotate though since its a bit though as if you have a rectangle it would affect the map outside its selection. Might have another look on this further on, but not for now...

jendan

Postby LPhillips » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:54 pm

You could have a sort of "minimap" showing the copied section, with rotate buttons. That should solve your display problem.

I don't know where you would find room for it.
LPhillips

Next

Return to Map making