Warbarons longest running game complete!

News on the site

Warbarons longest running game complete!

Postby SnotlinG » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:36 pm

Warbarons longest running game so far (with a big margin) is now complete.
The game called "Age of empires" started 8th december 2010, i.e. 18 months ago, and was running on the old beta3 code! (our last beta3 game)
Winner after 64 turns was kenc80! :-)

To have a nostalgia trip you can check out the game here for a few days:
http://www.warbarons.com/beta3/game.php?gameid=690&res=highres
SnotlinG

Re: Warbarons longest running game complete!

Postby MrBofa » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:27 pm

You da man Ken. I am glad I could be apart of history and see it to the bitter end
MrBofa

Postby kenc80 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:37 pm

I\'d be remiss if I didn\'t mention that the game swung my way when KGB got mad at Bras about a year ago. It was fun to see those 3STR heavy Infantrys. I liked those guys. And the super-pegasus. They were nice. I will miss them!
kenc80

Postby LPhillips » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:45 pm

I've been watching that one on and off since it began. That game has been decided for something like a year; did you all decide to make it last a long time on purpose? :)
LPhillips

Postby KGB » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:24 pm

LPhillips wrote:That game has been decided for something like a year; did you all decide to make it last a long time on purpose? :)

KenC80 was staggering his way to a win like a blind squirrel looking for a nut :) At one point it took him something like 15 turns to finish off a player who had 2 cities, 8 men and wasn't consistently playing (ie only playing about 1 move in 3 so he didn't time out) despite the fact he had something like 250 men and 30+ cities.

It lasted such a long time because many players stopped taking turns or were only taking 1 in 3 turns to avoid timing out so that it was literally 5 days between turns. It was a very low priority game for most of us because the outcome was obvious when I decided to play KingMaker and let KenC80 win about 30 turns ago rather than play a 6v1 game. That's why it took 18 months to finish only 64 turns in an 8 player game where I finished off 1 player on turn 8 or 9.

The crazy thing to me was the game Id was 680 which compared to the numbers now in the 20000's is staggering. It shows how many more games are being played now compared to then.

The most annoying thing that Snotling probably didn't realize is all the path finding code got stripped out somehow so units literally took a straight line without regard to terrain so you had to manually move units 1 square at a time yourself if you wanted them to get anywhere.

SnotlinG, can all the players see the chat now that the game has ended? That might be something for them to look at.

KGB
KGB

Postby kenc80 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:48 pm

Now to be fair, it was a little tougher because there was no disband button either in this beta (hadnt been implemented yet) so cost management was tougher. Secondly, in my defense, I was being cautious because the outcome was in doubt a lot longer than it seemed. I had no idea if you would decide to take back your lands, where I had few forces. Also, this was pre-sandworm so the desert slowed me mightily! :mrgreen:

It was a bloodier world here without the 90% rule and the D20 dice. I know I know you dispute, but given the D20 and the lack of other options, the pegasus and archons were quite deadly units, same with the dragon. Simpler times when the Red Dragon ruled supreme. Now, not so much!
kenc80

Postby Moonknight » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:52 am

I liked that map, what happened to it?
Moonknight

Postby SnotlinG » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:28 am

It seems the cleanout policy in beta3 was a bit more agressive at that time, so the game has already been cleaned out now...
SnotlinG

Postby loko » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:39 am

i cant follow the link...
and congratz to Kenc for winning and for KGB for making that crazyest analogy I heard in a long while :)
loko

Return to News