First Official Map Makers' Contest

News on the site

Re: First Official Map Makers' Contest

Postby Negern » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:17 pm

Can't vote either. My map is in the small category, and I haven't played any of the big maps.

I believe it would make a big difference if more people knew about the contest. If there will be another one, some info in the main chat ("Second Official Map Makers' Contest begins today! *link*", "Three days left of voting! *link*" etc) would probably help out. If possible, a count down banner would probably work too.

But IMO, less emphasis on voting would probably work best.
Negern

Postby KGB » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:06 pm

There is another possible way to get players to vote without requiring them to do anything.

You could simply count the number of games started on each one from say Sept 1st until end of October (60 days). Presumably maps that players enjoyed the most would get played more often. You would have to discount any game created by the map maker since you don't want ballot box stuffing :)

KGB
KGB

Postby LPhillips » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:09 am

Haha! Well, KGB, that's a bit less abritrary than a decision by someone who's played very little of the maps.

It sounds more like people aren't enthused about voting. And there's no way to do it fairly in a very timely manner, as even the most active players can't get much playing in on the maps in a short time. I'm open to suggestions. I don't have a problem with picking winners if that doesn't bother anyone, but I don't think it is fair since I can't play 5 games on each one. Obviously we don't want to delay this for 6 months so we can all get comfortable with the maps.

Snotling and Piranha endorsed the contest. However, they already have plenty of work to do and they didn't take on any responsibility for it. Banners, Real Time Activity updates, etc. would be rather limited in effect in a small community like this. It will be a lot more worthwhile when the community has grown. Let's gather as much feedback as we can and then I will make a decision. One or two other volunteers for judging would be appreciated (any experienced player who has no maps in the contest is as qualified as I am).
LPhillips

Postby smursh » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:51 am

I'm OK if you do the judging. Obviously with a map in the large map category and two teamates in the small map contest I can't help if you are going with only a couple other judges.
smursh

Postby Moonknight » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:04 am

Narcissus blows away the other small maps hands down. It gets my vote...

The two large maps are both balanced and are closer in battle, but I'd have to give the beauty and creative edge to Hexagon.
Moonknight

Postby Negern » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:05 pm

Did some changes. Version 3.0 submitted.

http://warbarons.com/ver08/mapeditor.php#

And if you need more judges in future contest, I could help out.
Negern

Postby Chazar » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:21 am

What is this map voting? How does it work, where is it explained?

I thought the "Vote"-Button on the ViewMaps pages is only about whether or not a map is available for ladder games, no?

PS: I see it is buried on page 2 of this thread. No suprises then.
Chazar

Postby LPhillips » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:54 pm

Alrighty folks, it's time!

I'll rank the maps to the best of my ability according to the 4 qualifying statistics. It's been a good run, with some excellent maps. In fact, another qualifying map was submitted just a couple of days ago, but of course submissions are closed at the moment. We had two map categories this time, so that people would have options when applying their creativity to the contest. It also prevents attempting to compare apples and oranges!

Large maps: Pitfall and Hexagon.
Originality and Creativity: Hexagon takes the win here. It's got quite an original concept and a creative implementation. Pitfall gave it a run for the money, with the off-the-path ruins and unique engagement frontiers, but the entire concept and setting of Hexagon is unique. The "themed mirror regions" idea needed a good reworking to take the prize here. Even so, some of the elements of the player expansion deserve attention for their originality.
Balance: Here, the choice is difficult. Both have undergone extensive balance updates, and both were carefully crafted to facilitate fair play. Pitfall has seen the most balance updates and features a mirror design; however the division of starting areas into themed "regions" is a critical hamper to the map's balance. Without a change to gameplay mechanics, the randomized starting units might determine the winner before the game even begins. The addition of a few roads would fix this problem by equalizing travel everywhere, but it would also take a great deal of flavor out of the map. Hexagon appears balanced and has certainly seen plenty of loving care in that department, but it's impossible to tell from map-reading how it would play out. For the reasons mentioned, and a lack of personal experience with the maps, I'm forced to call this category a tie. I'm certain Pitfall would take the prize here if not for the randomized starting units.
Polish: Both maps have seen impeccable attention in this department. If anything, Pitfall might just edge out Hexagon in terms of gameplay polish, but then I must consider Hexagon's varied terrain and the unique way in which players must treat with each other during their expansions. Pitfall's frontiers are carefully arranged in such a way that expansion does not equate to stalemate and stagnation, and scouting is vital. Truly impressive. However, the same can be said for Hexagon, where the playing experience is guaranteed to be unique from every position and with each new iteration. In terms of team play, Pitfall looks more suited, while in FFA Hexagon might prove more entertaining. Both players have utilized the map maker privileges extensively to guarantee a smooth player experience as requested. This category is another tie.
Beauty: Here is when that one, otherwise insignificant factor can make the difference. If we can disregard a broken game mechanic and call Pitfall the winner of Balance, then both maps are effectively tied. But here, in the final category (and established from the beginning as the least important when picking winners) we find that Hexagon has effectively blown the competition out of the water. It's hard to imagine a prettier map. One would think that it might win this category over any number of submissions. Pitfall is utilitarian, and effectively accomplishes its job: no distractions, simply solid gameplay. Hexagon, however, seems to value beauty and aesthetics quite as much as balance in its design. So the tiebreaker category serves its purpose.

Large Maps Winner: Hexagon, by garvisus!

Small maps: Archipelago, Stripes, and Narcissus.
I'll be less wordy with this one.
Originality and Creativity: All of the maps are exceptional in this regard. We've seen checkerboard and sports-themed maps before, but Stripes implements these in a whole new way. The level of originality in applying the concept is commendable. Narcissus is an entirely new concept with a new player experience, and Archipelago is a theme and map style we really needed since the addition of sea creatures. If anything, Narcissus might edge the others out in originality, but the creativity of concept application in each map is such that there is no clear winner.
Balance: Stripes and Narcissus have to take the prize together here as mirror maps. Archipelago looks like a fun play and will undoubtedly be one of the finest experiences in the map roster, but without numerous inputs from experienced players (which I was not able to obtain) its balance cannot be qualified.
Polish: Here, again, a tough choice. These maps have all been carefully crafted, maintained, and yes, polished over the past several weeks. Here, I cannot honestly pick a winner. All of the maps made careful use of the newer mapmaker options, and all of them have been lovingly maintained and updated.
Beauty: It all comes down to this category, again. Here, I'd have to tie it between Archipelago and Narcissus. This category is highly subjective. The extreme care in mirroring Narcissus while simultaneously making it beautify has to be credited. However, I do love a good asymmetrical design and Archipelago has that with some real polish. Simpler, but beautiful in a way that doesn't distract gameplay. Unfortunately no "deep water" to vary the color a bit, but that's a gameplay/balance decision.

So, our small maps winner: Narcissus, by garvisus also!
Well, friends, it seems that we have a new mapmaking champ. We'll have to open the next contest to some less restrictive rules and see if anyone can depose him! All of the maps submitted here deserve some real appreciation. As of now, the prize is 600cred for first place in each category. Garvisus has the prize this time, but next time around I plan to try and give him a run for it! It will be interesting to see what happens with a larger number of entries!
LPhillips

Postby ptGamer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:12 pm

Congrats garvisus! And thanks to all who have put in the time to develop maps for everyone to play :D
ptGamer

Postby smursh » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:01 pm

Congrats Garvisus. I have to admit that hexagon is one of my favorite large maps, so I don't mind losing here.

Two extremely impressive maps!
smursh

PreviousNext

Return to News