Server crash

News on the site

Server crash

Postby piranha » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:58 am

We had a server crash on the 24th december. We have investigated the logs and after som googling it turns out that the kernel in our ubuntu version have bug that causes the server to crash after about 200 days of uptime. So we will reboot the server every 190 days now until we update to a new version of the kernel.

5 extra days have been added to all games but the crash happened slowly so there may be games where players have timed out.
As you know there is no possibility to roll back games so if someone lost a game or turn we can end the game with a draw for you.
If you lost ladder points let us know about that so we can manually change it.
piranha
Site Admin

Postby mnvalente » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:09 pm

Welcome back online! You were missed.
mnvalente

Re: Server crash

Postby SnotlinG » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:02 pm

Thanks!
We were a bit annoyed it happened just on christmas though, otherwise we would have been up and running again much quicker... :-)
SnotlinG

Postby piranha » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:56 pm

Testing
piranha
Site Admin

Re: Server crash

Postby KGB » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:17 am

piranha wrote:We have investigated the logs and after som googling it turns out that the kernel in our ubuntu version have bug that causes the server to crash after about 200 days of uptime. So we will reboot the server every 190 days now until we update to a new version of the kernel.

And people think Windows is quirky :lol:

Glad to hear it was nothing more serious. I tried reaching the site during those down days from an old laptop I borrowed from a family member I was visiting over Christmas and when I was unable to do so I couldn't figure out if it was a laptop connection issue or the site was actually down.

KGB
KGB

Return to News