Official Map making contest

News on the site

Official Map making contest

Postby SnotlinG » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:01 pm

Following post is posted on behalf of Negern who will be arranging this mapmaking contest:

Welcome to the second Map Makers' Contest! In the last one there were two categories, both won by Garvisius for a total of 1200 credits. The categories were -Large map entries- and -Small map entries-. There were some rules about how the maps had to be, e.g. about size and shape of map, but for this competition we would like to try a different approach. The first category will be -Large FFA/team maps-. The maps will be of att least 100*100 size and a minimum of 6 players - other than that, the only rule is that the map can't be a mirror map or resemble a mirror map. The second category will be open for -any- kind of map: 1vs1vs1's, small FFA's, large mirrored team maps - in short: whatever floats the map makers boats!

Both categories (-Large team/FFA- & -unrestricted-) will have first prizes of 600 credits each. Any one is allowed to compete for them, with a maximum of one map in each category. Once submitted, maps may be updated until one week before the end of the competition (26, April - then both new maps and updates to already submitted maps won't be taken into account. During this last week, it's voting time! Besides from the community, the participants will vote too: if a mapmakers submitts a map to any category, he or she has to vote on two of the other maps in that category, one with 2 point of worth, one with 3 points of worth.

The community votes the same way: one vote with 2 point of worth, one with 3 points of worth. The votes are restricted to two votes for each category, giving a total of four possible votes for each member. A single vote in one of the categories will not be counted, both the 2 and the 3 will have to be placed.

The more points a map gets - the more likely it is to win.

Since we have no judges, it's entirely up to the community and map makers themselves who will be the winner. We ask of all voters to ask themselves which map seems to be the most well made before placing a vote.

Contenders should be aware that to enlist, a short description and a link to the map must be posted in this thread. During the contest, we hope that map makers and community will discuss the maps, giving the makers a chance of improving the maps before the voting starts.

Let the map making begin!

/Negern
SnotlinG

Re: Official Map making contest

Postby Negern » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:50 pm

Gut gut! Now, before starting, I just want to point out that my part as a judge is very limited, except for deciding the two categories. The winners will win because of their votes, not because of my opinions. As long as the top-2 maps in each category doesn't get as many points, there will be no problems. So don't forget to vote! The more votes we get, the smaller the risk of a draw will become.
I will join the competition myself and I hope to meet some hard competition! Just don't forget to remind us that you're part of the competition, and don't forget that to participate also means you have to vote in the categories you enter! This is done to prevent what happened last time, when only two votes was placed in the entire competition! :lol:
Negern

Postby Moonknight » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:14 pm

I'm thinking about creating a map, when are we thinking these maps should be ready for judging by?
Moonknight

Postby Negern » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:52 am

After 26 April, it\'s one week of voting. So one month, more or less.
Negern

Postby Negern » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:16 pm

Negern

Postby Garesch » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:37 pm

I'd like to enter the map "Dantes Inferno" in category 1. I don't know how to generate a URL pointer to the map. However, I just submitted it, so people should be able to view it.
Garesch

Postby Negern » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:45 pm

Great! I hoped you would join with it! Feels like it has good chances of winning. Or, it's 11 days left - perhaps some epic maps will make the competition even harder!
Negern

Postby Garesch » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:51 am

Only two entries & none for category 2 (although I might be doing something about that soon). Still, it's not much of a competition. Perhaps you guys would consider extending the deadline. Alternatively, you might declare that maps don't need to be brand new, but that people can enter any maps they created within, say, the last 3 months?
Garesch

Postby Negern » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:21 am

Well, I don't know either. Thought at least 4-5 maps would be submitted, but it looks like I was wrong. But it might as well be that everyone's doing the final polishing now! Well, if nothing happens until 26, I'll try to come up with something.
Negern

Postby Garesch » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:14 pm

OK. Here's my entry for Category 2: Carcassonne, which I also just submitted, so hopefully everyone can now see it.
Garesch

Next

Return to News