Ladder season 5 ending

News on the site

Ladder season 5 ending

Postby piranha » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:36 pm

Ladder season 5 has ended and all winners have been notified of their places and credits have been awarded.

Tabanli who haven't been in the top 3 before did a great job this season taking the #1 spot both in 1vs1 and in FFA. Interestingly Razurandal took the second spot in 1vs1 and FFA and Igor the third spot in both 1vs1 and FFA. Some spectacular symmetry there :mrgreen:.
Razurandal and Igor both have a fantastic record of placing in the top 3 in all season except the first.

Good guys got the #1 on the team ladder with Milan following and TND the third spot with a perfect record of 7-0.

Well done everyone.

Winners have been credited credits as usual.

1 vs 1
#1 3000 credits to Tabanli of team Good guys
#2 2000 credits to Razurandal of team Milan
#3 1000 credits to Igor of team Good guys

Free For All
#1 3000 credits to Tabanli of team Good guys
#2 2000 credits to Razurandal of team Milan
#3 1000 credits to Igor of team Good guys

Teams
#1 All players of team Good guys receive 1500 credits
#2 All players of team Milan receive 1000 credits
#3 All players of team TND receive 500 credits.

Best team players
#1 3000 credits to Igor of team Good guys
#2 2000 credits to Experix of team Good guys
#3 1000 credits to Razurandal of Milan

Some of you noticed that the season was still in progress today and it said that the season was going to end in December / January. So far we have run all the scripts dealing with ending the season manually to be able to monitor in case something goes wrong but we weren't able to find the time to do it earlier today.
Since everything went perfect this time we are going to test to have it completely automated next time in the end of December.

A side note. Version 0.92 is quite close to release. I wanted to have it out by the start of this season but we are trying to get rid of every discovered bug and it's taking a bit extra time. It will be the first step of two in order to make the game available on phones and tablets.
piranha
Site Admin

Re: Ladder season 5 ending

Postby Moonknight » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:46 pm

Congrats to the winners...nice job tabanli taking over as the king of the hill!
Moonknight

Postby ams16 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:48 pm

What happened with the games in progress that were past 15 turns? I thought the were counted in the rankings?

Also, I feel it's a little silly that TND went 8 wins and 0 losses and that was only worth 3rd. The ranking system seems a bit biased and weird.
ams16

Postby SnotlinG » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:21 am

ams16 wrote:What happened with the games in progress that were past 15 turns? I thought the were counted in the rankings?

At seasonend we have a script that calculates the current status of all ongoing laddergames. Only games that have a clear leader is ended and included in the ranking (typically 10-15% of ongoing laddergames). The other laddergames will continue and be counted in the next season instead.

ams16 wrote:Also, I feel it's a little silly that TND went 8 wins and 0 losses and that was only worth 3rd. The ranking system seems a bit biased and weird.

I understand what you mean, but the rankingsystem takes into consideration how high ranked you are compared to your opponent, as well as what type of map you are playing. Some small/quickly played maps give out less ladderpoints etc, so win/loss ratio is not everything even if it of course is important :-)
You can see a more detailed explanation under: http://www.warbarons.com/wiki/ladder
SnotlinG

Postby piranha » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:30 pm

I'd also like to add that the K value that is used to give maps a proper value haven't been working perfectly.
The K value is based on how many turns on average it takes to complete the map, the problem is that we didn't carry over the K-values (different for 1v1, ffa, team) to the next version of the map which led to many maps that have been release in new versions were reset to the K value based on map size.
We fixed that earlier in the summer so it should at least be better now.
piranha
Site Admin

Postby AngryOgre » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:05 am

Congrats to everyone! And again thanks to the organizers. Great job.

Concerning the rankings it probably also plays an important role that you only loose half the points you get when winning. I understand this from a developer's perspective - it encoarages playing more. Again, as I have suggested elsewhere it might be worth considering some Single Elimination trophy turnament to fix this problem. It would let players or teams that only have time for a few games at the time the time to prove their worth (could make it a Silver Feature which would encoarge players of few games to buy in). It can be arragened by the players without a feature as was the answer when I posted this a year back, but it would be much more smooth if there was a feature since then you don't have to actually go through the pain of organizing it each time.

Best
AngryOgre
AngryOgre

Postby tabanli » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:57 pm

Also similar to chess, especially swiss tournaments, our server can keep track of number of times a player started the game as a first player . We can call it WB (white black) factor and it will be a number between +1 and -1.

WB = (1*Games as First player -1 Games as the Last player)/Total games. the formula is easy and it can be applied to multiple player games easily. For example in a 7 player game First Player gets 1, Second player gets 0.66, Third gets 0.33, forth get 0, Fifth gets -0.33, sixth gets -0.66 and Seventh player gets -1 added to their cumulative WB factor.

Using this information, server can give starting advantage to the player with less WB factor.
tabanli

Postby Moonknight » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:43 pm

I would like to see points distributed out for FFA finishes other than first place which would give an incentive to stick around in the game when one starts losing instead of just surrendering and allowing the nearby neighbors strengthen easily.

Many times in a 4 person FFA, 2 players go out fairly early and it's a long battle between the final 2. The second placed player should get something for his/her efforts IMO.
Moonknight

Return to News