Server down

News on the site

Server down

Postby piranha » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:42 am

The server went down on friday. Currently trying to figure out what we can from the logs. Will report when we know more.

We hade added 36 hours to all games so you should not miss your turn.
piranha
Site Admin

Postby Seraad » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:47 pm

Thanks. Very nice move with the added hours. I hope everything will be all right!
Seraad

Re: Server down

Postby KGB » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:50 pm

Clearly it happened because I lost a game. That definitely does not compute :lol:

It went down around 5:30 EST on Friday evening. I was playing turns when it happened and suddenly the site was gone. Not sure if it's related but for the prior few days the site had been disappearing (not pingable) for short periods of time (1 minute) around that time. That's close to midnight UCT time so I wonder if some kind of maintenance is being done then on your server or the host website at that time that might have messed you up.

The other possibility I wonder about is if some log filled up / became too large.

KGB
KGB

Postby piranha » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:13 pm

We are quite sure that it happened because of problems with the MySQL database now. An hour or 2 before the site became inaccessible we noticed that the DB graph showed an ever increasing number of connections until it fell to 0 and then started increasing again. When the server became accessible again MySQL had crashed and several tables needed to be repaired.
piranha
Site Admin

Postby KGB » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:13 pm

Interesting.

A couple things I've noticed that may or may not having anything to do with the issue.

1) When I initiate a large complex battle the server often takes 5-10 seconds to resolve it. That seems reasonable given all the calc's you have to run. However when I go back and replay the battle it takes the same 5-10 seconds to do the replay. Furthermore afterwards it *always* seems like I lose all connection to the server and have to do an F5 or close/restart the browser to get the game working again after the replay. I find this really strange since it seems like you are literally re-running the entire battle instead of replaying a result. Maybe this is causing some kind of issue?

2) The other thing I notice at least playing with Firefox is that each time I enter/exit a game some connections appear not to close. So that if I enter / exit 2-3 games in a row (including reentering same game) the browser becomes *really* slow as if there is a lot of memory or resources leaked in some manner. Restarting the browser is the only thing that fixes it.

KGB
KGB

Return to News