beta5 preview

News on the site

beta5 preview

Postby SnotlinG » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:45 pm

We have had a few days with some bad news regarding server issues etc, so I was thinking it was time for some good news :-)

Adding some screens from the ongoing work on beta5...

In the mapeditor you will be able to place Signposts as well as Items on the ground:

One of the big things in beta5 is the possibility to add triggers to a scenario-map:

For scenariomaps you will be able to setup some details about each player/team... I let the image speak for itself ;-)

In-game screen of a Signpost... the text on the signpost is displayed on mouseover...
SnotlinG

Re: beta5 preview

Postby magian » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:16 pm

:shock: This looks awesome!
magian

Postby Moonknight » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:50 pm

So under the player settings where you have listed Human, does that mean a Computer option will be available now or just that it will be a Neutral?

This does look awesome!
Moonknight

Postby strach » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:32 pm

items look way to gaudy for my liking
strach

Postby KGB » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:04 pm

Moonknight wrote:So under the player settings where you have listed Human, does that mean a Computer option will be available now or just that it will be a Neutral?

I assume that's how you create 'city states' in the editor as there is no AI yet as it would require a lot of coding to even make a very simple one.

Right now in the editor you can click on a city and set it as a 'city state'. I assume this will be an easier way to set unused sides to city states (ie a city that is active and activates other neutrals at a rate of 1 per turn).

KGB
KGB

Postby Moonknight » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:11 am

I see, I figured it wasn't going to be AI, just dreamin...
Moonknight

Postby KGB » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:00 am

Moonknight,

Even if writing the AI was do-able in a reasonable amount of time, there is a much bigger issue. That is, where would the AI 'live'. If it lives on the server and lets say 10 players want to play AI games that means 10 copies of the AI running. By the time 100 players play the server is going to be bogged down so that no one can play. The other option is to have a downloadable AI to your browser which means now it has to make a LOT of database queries over the internet to be able to get all the data it needs to make moves and do other calculations (which are going to be VERY slow/clumsy in Javascript which doesn't have all the nice things like allocated memory that C/C++ etc have). Once again by the time 100 players are playing solo games it would drag down the server.

Now what I think would be a nice solo challenge is to take the 'test' map and set 2 cites on it as City States. This would active the other neutrals on the map. Then have a set time limit of say 20 turns to conquer the map. So you'd race against time to conquer the map before the time runs out fighting against the 'live' neutrals.

KGB
KGB

Postby Moonknight » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:40 pm

Hmm, never thought about the drag on the server that AI would cause...I do think the "City States" will be a great thing to have, and including them in the tutorials would be a good way to practice different strategies.
Moonknight

Postby Webrv » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:26 pm

dang! this is gonna be cool
Webrv

Postby Moonknight » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:02 pm

Do any of the items provide Undead Lore Increase, Group Flight or Group Invisibility?
Moonknight

Next

Return to News