Beta5 AI

News on the site

Beta5 AI

Postby SnotlinG » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:01 pm

One small surprise we have developed to be launched together with beta5 is a simple AI.
The AI is not very good though, as we can´t spend too much time on it, and also it needs to be pretty fast, since it is run by the server and we currently have very limited server resources.

To not crasch the server there is a max number of AIs that is allowed to execute at the same time, and if/when this limit is reached (currently 1), AIs who´s turn it is will be placed in a queue.
So this means that if you are lucky, your AI opponent will make is turn in a few seconds. If you are unlucky, you will be placed last in the queue and have to wait.

Limitations of the AI is that it:
- Ignores ruins
- Ignores items
- Hero never levels
- Never upgrade citywall

Current existing functionality:
- Accepts new hero offers
- diffrent personalities which affects AI gameplay in some way
- Uses vectoring
- Buys new production if occupied city has bad production options
- can play in team with other AIs or Humans (will pretty much just ignore its teammates though)

This is quite exciting :-), but still a bit of a test, and if we have problems with it during beta5 despite precautions like AI-queue etc we might have to remove it, or limit it in some way.
However the first basic version of the AI has already played a few beta4 games undercover against you guys, so it seems it could work ;-)
SnotlinG

Postby joasoze » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:03 pm

woow impressive
joasoze

Re: Beta5 AI

Postby Jeremy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:55 pm

It it's not obviously less competent that human opponents, that's a impressive test to have passed.

Besides, I'm not convinced that ignoring ruins isn't rational behavior. The Risk + Effort to Reward ratio isn't currently very good.

Might be nice to write a super-simple metric for leveling. They all automatically put all their points in morale/fear, and into waterwalk, then fly, then bonus intellegence.
Jeremy

Postby KGB » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:43 pm

SnotlinG,

Interesting. Be curious to see how you are managing the complexity of making stacks from single units. That's probably the most difficult thing to do.

Since you obviously have such limited resources on the server you might want to restrict each person to only 1 AI game and maybe only on the test map so that it's really for players to learn the basic's of the game / test out some tactics/ideas rather than to provide an actual competent opponent.

However the first basic version of the AI has already played a few beta4 games undercover against you guys, so it seems it could work ;-)

Ah, so that explains who KenC80 is ;-)

KGB
KGB

Postby kenc80 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:12 pm

HA. Except my AI isn't very good at ignoring ruins! I need the new model! :lol:
kenc80

Postby KGB » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:29 pm

Incidentally I believe I am in a game with one of those AI's.

The problem is it doesn't do anything. It's literally sitting with 1 city and just filling it with men as it's turn 15+ and it still only has 1 city. No human player can be playing those turns and not actually conquering anything.

KGB
KGB

Postby piranha » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:27 am

If you are referring to test44 its not the AI :-).
piranha
Site Admin

Postby SnotlinG » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:11 am

Jeremy;

Might be nice to write a super-simple metric for leveling. They all automatically put all their points in morale/fear, and into waterwalk, then fly, then bonus intellegence.

yes that was my original plan also. Unfortunately even writing a super-simple levelup code was a bit complicated, so Ill delay that for later.

KGB,
Interesting. Be curious to see how you are managing the complexity of making stacks from single units. That's probably the most difficult thing to do.

its a very simple AI, it doesnt care much about what kind of units it has in the stack. But calculates to reach a certain number (or battlevalue), before leaving for attacking.

Since you obviously have such limited resources on the server you might want to restrict each person to only 1 AI game and maybe only on the test map so that it's really for players to learn the basic's of the game / test out some tactics/ideas rather than to provide an actual competent opponent.

Yes this is something we might add as a restriction depending on how it works out :-)

Incidentally I believe I am in a game with one of those AI's.

The problem is it doesn't do anything. It's literally sitting with 1 city and just filling it with men as it's turn 15+ and it still only has 1 city. No human player can be playing those turns and not actually conquering anything.

Im afraid that must be a human player (mayeb he has missed a few turns?)
There is currently only 1 AI playing, and it has a bunch of cities in that game :-)
SnotlinG

Postby kenc80 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:35 pm

cmon Snotling you have to tell us who it is!
kenc80

Postby KGB » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:45 pm

piranha wrote:If you are referring to test44 its not the AI :-).

Are you sure ;)

snotling wrote:Im afraid that must be a human player (mayeb he has missed a few turns?)
There is currently only 1 AI playing, and it has a bunch of cities in that game :-)

Strange. It's 'Another Game' (4179) and it's turn 15 and this player has only 1 city and 20+ men. They are playing since they aren't timing out (would have been kicked out ago) on turns but no idea what they could be doing for this long without taking a single city.

KGB
KGB

Next

Return to News