Warpedia updated

News on the site

Re: Warpedia updated

Postby magian » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:29 pm

I would buy the mammoth at 25 +10D. That would make it a bit more versatile.

I'd prefer the eagle to be 15 +15AA. Its is currently a little too good against fliers.
magian

Postby Moonknight » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:44 pm

I have to agree with Magian on the Eagles being too good against Flyers. 15+15AA seems about right, would always still take out a Crow unblessed, and have about a 50/50 shot against a Pegasus straight up (30 vs. 31).
Moonknight

Postby KGB » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:54 pm

Piranha,

A 20 strength 4 hit unit is exactly equal to a 35 strength 2 hit unit (50.5% chance to win). So yeah, I'd buy a 3 turn, 35/2 unit with +15 defense that has ice stack movement (the only unit that does) and +5 stack Morale on Ice. With +20 defense (40) it is slightly weaker than a 60/2 (49%) which is amazingly powerful since no normal unit can get to 60 without a LOT of bonus's. Or put another way, that defense 40 strength 4 hit Mammoth is still 25% likely to beat a Pegasi (31) + 7 units (1 turn units like Lt/Hv Inf with 16 str). The value of an extra hit is far more than it looks at first glance.

Sea Serpents at 20 strength is a good change. Makes them worth the 2 turns it takes to make them.

I'm with LickKing on lowering the Elf's woods combat bonus. Other than the Pikeman, I don't think any 1 turn unit needs a +10 or better bonus as it just makes 1 turn units too attractive to make. So the same +6 the Orc has is fine considering it starts at 12 strength so will be 18 in the woods with 28 anti-air in the woods. That's a quality unit still. You can lower the cost to the same as the Lt Cavalry (275).

LichKing,

The problem with the Valkrie getting extra moves is they are only useful in an all flying stack. Virtually no land unit moves more than her base 16 moves so it's hard to justify spending money to upgrade moves when she outruns her own stack. Now, if she could spend 15 points for +1 group move (and buy this several times) then yeah that would be a nice compensation to make up for the Paladin Ruin ability (which lets the Paladin net more magic items and more XP since he can obviously loot all those ruins).

What's wrong with the Unicorn having +4 group move (I think +2 would be better so they don't make the Green Dragon useless). Still not sure how much they will get made but maybe they will. I think they need an incentive to get made since right now as I said, I never ever see them. And why would you not want them to lead armies in a Forest. Seems strange that an Elf can and they can't but that's a minor quibble since no one would make them for that reason.

Magican/MoonKnight,

I personally think Eagles would be fine at 15 strength and 20 anti-air. They are specialized against fliers so if they don't have that kind of bonus they won't have any value since they can't assault land units or neutral cities due to weak strength and they get slaughtered when meeting Elves.

KGB
KGB

Postby LichKing » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:37 pm

If it's possible to make them individual move at cost 1 (carrying heroes) + army movement at cost 2 it would be ideal. High-level Valkyrie with UL and wizards/ghosts search ruins also well. If pathfinding could be upgraded on them up to 2 move cost points on all terrains they would be fine as they are, imo.
LichKing

Postby magian » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:47 pm

I think a 3 turn unicorn with three wounds, terrain negation, forest movement and forest morale will likely get built. With the B5 changes, they already get produced one full turn quicker and have an extra wound, that's quite an upgrade right there. maybe boost their speed but that is all. I just don't think any unit needs 3 powers (seems cluttered and a bit overly complicated). Maybe ditch the forest morale for the move bonus.

As for as the Valkyrie, even 15 points seems high for stack movement +1. 10 points would be better (at least for the first few purchases). Then it would actually be tempting to take it instead of her command bonus.

15 strength isn't so weak that eagles couldn't be effective raiders (against weak cities in your opponent's backfield). They are also fast fliers, so more likely to be blessed. True that they would get shredded by elves but that is pretty much the worst matchup possible for them (so they really should). Also, they are the cheapest ride a hero can get.
magian

Postby Moonknight » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:03 pm

Looking at the items, I would suggest two changes: make Kaleidoscope (+3 vision) a level 1 item, and make Treads of tuor (+4 group move) a level 2 item (this is a good item, but not nearly as good as the other level 3 items, and is it suppose to be tour?).

I like the Gabriels Heart item (+2 HP, +4 leadership defense), is that in play currently in Beta4?
Moonknight

Postby Moonknight » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:47 pm

The Gryphon was always my favorite unit in the original Warlords games, which is probably why I think they should get 3 HP's and be adjusted cost wise...it would make it stand out more from the Spider since in a head-to-head battle in a city right now, the Gryphon would only win 11 out of 20 times.

Either that or they could stay where they're at cost-wise and get a movement of 18, or 20 even, since they are 3-turn creatures.

Edit: Another option could be to add an anti-air bonus as well since they are part Eagle ;)
Last edited by Moonknight on Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moonknight

Postby magian » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:48 pm

Gabriel's heart is currently available! I was quite surprised when I found that crazy armor in a ruin.
magian

Postby Jeremy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:47 pm

I'd love to keep units with more than 2 hits a real rarity. It's unexpectedly powerful, so that will confuse beginners. And it messes with the mental calculations of us experts.

So, by all means use it, but use it very sparingly. Kraken, Mammoths, Green Dragon. I'd say Red Dragon, but that unit is already insanely hard to kill -- it doesn't need more bonuses. NOT Unicorn, Griffon, etc. Keep 3 hits for things than are physically massive.
Jeremy

Postby piranha » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:48 pm

Made some more changes on the units.

Elf cost 275, +5 forest
Giant cost 450
Ghost +8 group ambush
Medusa battle 25 - Medusa is mainly a support unit in the back but when you finally get to her you have a 65% chance to die so if you get past all the it seems reasonable that its not as strong as a front line fighter as well.

Mammoth base lowered to 15. Lets try it like that and see. Its the most expensive upkeep per turn prod you can build so having these guys standing around in cities will be costy.

Unicorn, no morale forest bonus to not clutter, increased speed to 16. Green dragon +4 move is great combined with other flying armies but I don't see the unicorn +4 make the green dragon obsolete. Its will be a good way to speed up your land units. That negate terrain bonus is mostly useful against low level units which aren't that much of a problem so the real use is vs spiders and gryphons in cities. I think its needs something more than just negate terrain.
piranha
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to News