Help with funding

News on the site

Re: Help with funding

Postby KGB » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:47 pm

Piranha,

piranha wrote:It will be subscription based. This will be implemented in 2012 Q2. Warbarons have costed more than we planed from in the beginning and now we have the server that is costing money so we need to make it self financed in 2012.

Hopefully the cost won't be much. Maybe 2-3 dollars a month because at that rate the game costs $24-36 a year which is reasonable. Once you go beyond that, you get to the point where it's easier to go to the bargain bin and get Heroes of Might and Magic 6 for $15 bucks.

piranha wrote:The reason we are using it now is to test it a bit because we want to add simultaneous turns for all players. To do that we need to have information in real time or it will look as if you are attacking neutrals when in fact another player have already captured the city. If we combine that with speed game you can really sit down and play a game of warbarons turn by turn an evening against human players. And normal games can progress much faster if all players are doing their turns at the same time.

AWESOME, just AWESOME. I *so* look forward to simultaneous turn games ala DLR. For those who never played DLR, you have no idea how much more fun and challenging simultaneous turn games are. Getting that feature in and working should draw a lot of the old time DLR online community.

Plus you can do a whole lot more in simultaneous turn games that you can't in round-robin style because there is no cheese such as sending multiple stacks against an enemy hero wearing him down or dropping flight items before battle etc. Now everything potentially has consequences immediately so the defender is not at the same disadvantage.

So here's hoping the Kickstarter campaign yields what you need.

KGB
KGB

Postby Moonknight » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:20 pm

Boom, $200...someone beat it!

So if i donate more in the future, that can stack for the rewards right?
Moonknight

Postby ams16 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:51 pm

Go Moonknight!!

(I put in my measly $25.)
ams16

Postby LPhillips » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:36 am

Dropped my cash! (Whenever it goes through).

C'mon folks, let's help out! For most of us, we spend more than $50 eating out, grabbing coffee, all that extra crap every week. So, you know, if you like the game, it's not much. Just for perspective. There's been a lot of effort and investment going into this game, which we've all enjoyed for free.
LPhillips

Postby piranha » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:34 pm

Thanks a lot for all donations. I really hope we will make it. It will make a huge difference.
I'm not sure what happens if you donate twice on kickstarter but for us there is no problem with adding all donations into one and considering it to be the highest donation level possible with that amount instead of several smaller ones.
piranha
Site Admin

Postby temptsfate » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:03 am

Or not, for if it lacks funding, we can continue playing for free and our opponents don\'t get special bonus units/other advantages due to their financial contribution. It\'s fun now, I don\'t know if it will remain fun then.
temptsfate

Postby LPhillips » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:19 pm

piranha wrote:Ezras: There is going to be something like this: Free account with a limitation in how many games you can have running at the same time, but you can keep playing for free for as long as you want.

Silver account which will remove the number of games limit.

Gold account which will have a couple of interface features. Nothing that will give you an "cheating" type of advantage, but helpful interface stuff.
There is also going to be a limitation in the number of AIs you can host depending on your account to not overload the server with AIs :-).
It will be subscription based.

This will be implemented in 2012 Q2. Warbarons have costed more than we planed from in the beginning and now we have the server that is costing money so we need to make it self financed in 2012. The kickstarter campaign is because we want to add more heroes, new items, new terrain and things for the game and we can't afford the graphics for it. New heroes in particular is something we really want.

It's time for you to reread this, Temptsfate. "Interface" features. As in, the word interface, not the word "unit" or "ability". And then the part where it says "This will be implemented in 2012 Q2." Not "This will be implemented if the kickstarter campaign succeeds."
The kickstarter campaign will relieve the financial burden so that they can add some new heroes, items, and terrain. It's written right there. If we gave enough, it might even remain freeplay for a while longer. You should check out the site: give now, and you can pay less or nothing in the future.

I know some people will read your comment and take it for truth without going back to find what was written for themselves, so I feel it's important to point out the truth. Please, read before you write. Really, do you know what you said?
temptsfate wrote:Or not, for if it lacks funding, we can continue playing for free...

"Let's not give anything so we can exploit these people."
temptsfate wrote:...our opponents don\'t get special bonus units/other advantages due to their financial contribution. It\'s fun now, I don\'t know if it will remain fun then.

I think we all share your concern there, but if you trust Piranha and Snotling to keep their word, this won't happen. I used to play a game in particular where the admin wanted absurd weekly contributions which they rewarded with heavyhanded abilities, and I agree that it's no fun. But let's have some faith in our admin, shall we?
LPhillips

Postby ams16 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:48 am

Good points, LPhillips. I upped my donation.
ams16

Postby Moonknight » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:03 am

I'm not sure if everyone checks the forums...piranha, you might want to send out an e-mail to people's Warbarons' inbox.
Moonknight

Postby KGB » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:40 am

Moonknight wrote:I'm not sure if everyone checks the forums...piranha, you might want to send out an e-mail to people's Warbarons' inbox.

I already mentioned that to him in a private email.

Especially since I'd guess over half the players aren't English speakers and may never go to the forum if they can't read it. Might have to get Google Translator setup for the site.

KGB
KGB

PreviousNext

Return to News