Great hero groups or city/armies/gold reserves

Discuss strategies of warbarons

Great hero groups or city/armies/gold reserves

Postby szymraszyn » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:34 pm

Hi,
What do you think about this topic. I think that in long run reserves always win. Today I had a game when my opponent had much strong heroses. He started to kill my heroses and armies but I had more cities and I've managed to train MANY ghosts and kill his heroses. Then he had to surrender because heroses was his only advantage. Here is the link to this gamehttp://www.warbarons.com/ver102/replay/83555/rm I would be happy to hear what do you think dear warlords.
Best regards,
Szymraszyn
szymraszyn

Re: Great hero groups or city/armies/gold reserves

Postby fantastory » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:17 am

you mean:
http://www.warbarons.com/ver102/replay/83555/

If what you say is true, i would be glad.
It would mean we are in strategy game than in rpg one :)
fantastory

Postby szymraszyn » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:27 am

yes, thx for putting link that works properly, I had to copy it bad :D . As I've said, in long run, on big map or medium, there is no way to big reserves lost with 8-great-unit-stuck. unfortunately on small maps heroses could rush, and raze half of your cities :x . but there is counter for every stuck. big cities reserves can produce it fast, and stop attack with single great stuck, just as in my game.
szymraszyn

Postby KGB » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:44 pm

If you set the winning % to 100% then a single strong hero stack can potentially force a draw on smaller maps where there isn't enough resources to conquer the last city.

Luckily very few games are played that way.

On the other hand you want there to be a chance for the player with the strong hero stack to win or else games become just a pure city race which is also boring.

KGB
KGB

Postby szymraszyn » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:15 pm

KGB wrote:If you set the winning % to 100% then a single strong hero stack can potentially force a draw on smaller maps where there isn't enough resources to conquer the last city.

No, I think it is not true. For exaple take cataclysm (13 cities). 1 player put in one city:
barb 75/4
dread knight 25/2 chaos 12
paladin 25/2 leadership 11
some heavy infranty etc.
then you can:
buy as many ghost production as possible
stop producting other units to get much gold and disband some useless ones
bring your heroses to this city
attack with everyting you have.

Or if you don't have heroses/gold just wait untill the season ends (70% rule)
szymraszyn

Postby KGB » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:34 pm

It's more important to have a high level Assassin with say 60+ ambush so that most of the enemy units are destroyed immediately.

Also on those small maps there is no way to generate enough gold to buy that production of Ghosts. You might be able to buy 1-2 cities pf Ghosts before you run out of gold to buy more. Also to build a large army requires a BIG upkeep (1 Ghost costs 8 per turn). You often run out of money before you have the number of units needed to take the city. I doubt on a map like Cataclysm you could do it if the defender had 20+ armies in his city.

Now waiting for the end of the season is another way to win of course. But that would be the only way and that's only in ladder games.

KGB
KGB

Postby szymraszyn » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:13 pm

KGB wrote:Also on those small maps there is no way to generate enough gold to buy that production of Ghosts. You might be able to buy 1-2 cities pf Ghosts before you run out of gold to buy more.
KGB

when you disband some useless units like heavy infranty, light cavalery, and stop producting them you will get enought gold to buy ghosts in some cities. In my example (cataclysm) you certainly get much gold from plundering cities
KGB wrote:It's more important to have a high level Assassin with say 60+ ambush so that most of the enemy units are destroyed immediately.
KGB

Well, getting assasin with ambush over 60 on small map is rather more difficult than getting 2700 gold for ghosts in 3 cities, isn't it?
szymraszyn

Postby KGB » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:31 pm

Depends on how long the game goes before one player holes up.

They won't be holing up on turn 1. So assuming both players roughly split the cities (plunder etc) before one player starts to lose and retreats there won't be as much gold as you think. Esp if a couple of cities get razed and so on.

The map you mention is unique in that it's LOADED with gold (income plus units to plunder) but most small maps are not like that. I suspect 90% would not have enough gold to buy the units and then build a large army on a small map.

KGB
KGB

Return to Strategy talk