Warlords

Discuss anything related to warbarons.

Warlords

Postby szymraszyn » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:05 pm

Hello,
Is there anyone who still plays old warlords? I used to play it long ago, but some mounths ago I came back to it, and I installed it on my computer, so now I play warbarons, warlords I and warlords II 8-) . What about you?
Szymraszyn
szymraszyn

Re: Warlords

Postby szymraszyn » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:24 pm

PS
what do you think about starting positions in Warlords I? here is my rank
1 red - good production, many cities and ruins nearby, weak neighbours (white and black)
2 orange - great prduction, a lot of cities and ruins but located in the center, so usually foes attacks you from all sides
3 teal - same as orange, just a bit less cities
4 yellow - good production, many cities, but usually they have bloody war with green
5 green - medium production, but can fast rush to the white. one disadvantage - after destroing white, while fighting with yellow can be attacked by most powerfull red
6 black - really poor production, but quite a lot of cities, can be attacked by teal and red simultaneusly
7 blue - poor production (they have ships, but they are producting them REALLLY long, so they can be captured before reaching the island
8 white - ALMOST NO CITIES, poor production, POWERFULL NEIGHBOUR (RED), almost always white got killed by green
szymraszyn

Postby somenpotatis » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:03 pm

To be honest I've played the Illuria map here on Warbarons more times than the actual Warlords I game. I can understand the impact it had when it was first released, but since I didn't try it out until after years of playing Warlords II it never caught my interest. I do however still play Warlords II from time to time, a favorite challenge is to turn on "I am the greatest" on hard without hidden map and try to beat all 7 AI:s while playing as red (starting in the lower left corner). It is not encouraging when all the war declarations starts coming in after just a few turns and you have to defend yourself with a handful of orcs and wolfriders :)
somenpotatis

Postby Igor » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:13 pm

There was a challenge in Warlords II to raise up in diplomatic status. Usually you play as Running Dog, but may become a Turncoat or even higher. But then you decide to beat all and... again Running Dog.
Igor

Postby szymraszyn » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:41 am

thanks for posting here those challenges, I will try them for sure ;)
szymraszyn

Postby Chazar » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:01 am

Teal was my favorite position on the illuria map.

I played from I up to IV, but primarily I and II.
Chazar

Postby szymraszyn » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:06 pm

[quote="Chazar"]Teal was my favorite position on the illuria map.
/quote]
why do you think teal were the best, in what aspects they outweigh the rest?
szymraszyn

Postby KGB » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:53 pm

The 2 most important sides in War1 were Orange and Yellow. That's because they were the only sides that could reach a ruin on turn 1. From which you could potentially pull over powered allies. If you hit the 50 move Wizards you could wipe out another player (Green or Teal/Blue) on turn 1 before they even got a chance to play :lol: If you died, you just immediately restarted. Those 2 sides also had superb starting city units (giants and dwarves), a strength bless site and access to flight units (Gryphons) which gave +1 combat bonus to the stack that only Green/Blue/White also got (Pegasi).

Sadly, the War1 AI was too weak to provide any real challenge so the game was only interesting in multiplayer hotseat with friends.

War2 with the 'I am the greatest' and open map as already mentioned here was a much more fun challenge. But once again you could always get a 'cheap' win by holing up in a single city with 1 hero + good units and then sending out another hero flying stack to raze the entire map one city at a time (esp once you got the over powered 2x movement item). Unfortunately it wasn't great for multi-player because of the over powered speed and flight items (unless you agreed not to use them). War2 also had some tremendously excellent scenario maps (available on many sites) that provided some great challenges for solo play.

KGB
KGB

Postby szymraszyn » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:59 am

Wizards are really rare, I don't remember when I got them last time :lol: . Red also had ruins really nearby, they could reach it in 2nd, and then some more ruins in next turns. Now I play mainly Warlords I, because it is a big fun to play with your friends, it is even bigger challenge, when all of them have alliance against you 8-) .
szymraszyn

Postby szymraszyn » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:18 am

I came back to warlords II. I am the greatest is the best challenge, thanks!
szymraszyn

Next

Return to Game discussion